October 18, 2012

Waimea Canyon Hike


Our biggest outing of the trip to Kauai was the hike in Waimea Canyon.  Joy and I remember going on our honeymoon and we didn't recall anything overly treacherous and the hiking book (from 11 years ago) we consulted confirmed that so we figured our kids were good for the challenge.  At first, 750 feet down into the canyon was no problem, even the narrow paths with dropoffs on both sides we survived with a little tight hand holding of Griffin.  Overall, it was a good opportunity for him to learn balance...yeah, that's what I am saying now.  Well, when we reached the bottom of our hike, we had three very dirty children, and one who took about 20 steps up the path and decided it was time to pull the "I'm the baby in the family" trump card and put both hands up with a really sad face and say "up."  Who can resist that?  First time experience with a little sciatica the next day told Brett that the next down then up hike might need to be delayed until the kids can do it by themselves, but halfway is pretty good right?  Did I forget to mention the beautiful views of the entire canyon that was not fogged or clouded over, the waterfalls on the opposite side of the canyon, and the light misty rain that only briefly gave us a refreshing pause?

Everyone was chipper and excited to head downhill on the path.


This was a great idea, Mommy, we are loving this hike!

Is this our first training hike for Tough Mudder?

I haven't seen the actual Grand Canyon yet, but this is pretty cool, when do we go to that one?

Bryce, I am tired, where is all your energy coming from, sat down and rest would ya.

Everybody flex...Bryce both hands up!

We found a spot to rest in the shade, do we have any water?

I was brave on this hike and I listened and obeyed, that's why I am still alive...

Okay, it's time to head back up the path we just came down.

At the bottom of the path, we constructed a letter F to commemorate the end of our hike.

Beautiful scenery of the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.

The first 20 steps on the way up...no problem.

I am done!

At the top, we finished the hike, for the most part.