November 06, 2010

Yosemite

We took a day trip to Yosemite National Park this month. We had realized that we hadn't been there since before Griffin was born and so we clearly needed to expose him to one of our favorite places to visit. After packing up the car, we ventured off, uncertain of when we would return home since we were on a somewhat flexible schedule. We went on a couple of hikes with the boys and of course they loved collecting sticks, climbing on rocks, and checking out all of the leaves on the ground. All of the fall colors were in their splendor. Since this was also a field trip for homeschooling, we had planned on doing some stargazing to punctuate our astronomy unit that we have been doing for the last 6 weeks. So of course the best spot in Yosemite to see the stars is at Glacier Point, so we began the 45 minute drive up there from the valley floor. There was not a single car that we noted in front of us nor behind us on the drive up, but there sure were a lot of cars driving back down! By the time we arrived at the top, the parking lot was empty and it was pitch black dark. Perfect for seeing stars...except for the large cloud cover that fully covered the sky by the time we arrived up there! After we started to head back down the hill, the skies opened up and we pulled over to have a spectacular view of the milky way and many other constellations. Thanks be to God for the beauty of his creation.


We adopted some sticks into our family for the picture.



Yosemite Falls at its lowest flow state of the year, still pretty.



I remember this tree from two years ago, and now I can almost stretch my hands around it. Maybe in another two years...


Ready, one, two, three...jump!



I found this leaf, do you think it can fly on its own again?



So guys, what are we looking at here?






How many different ways do you think we can pose on this log?


We are dancing and singing our way down the path.



Griffin, what are you looking at? Everyone else go the memo.



The sign that said, caution: stay off the rocks, deaths have occurred, didn't seem to phase any of us.


Okay, here I am at Bridalveil Falls...you've gotta check out all these great rocks.


I read the whole sign to Mommy, and then I proceeded to climb on all the rocks anyways.



I want down too, Daddy, let me at those rocks!


Some of us chose the path less traveled by...